Steam Train Trip to Ayutthaya on 23rd March 2014

February 18, 2014

steamtrain2

Steam train enthusiasts in Thailand will have an opportunity to ride a steam train to Ayutthaya on Sunday 23rd March 2014. This will celebrate the 117th anniversary of the opening of the first public railway in Thailand. Please note, this anniversary ride is normally held on 26th March but has bee moved to a Sunday this year to make it easier for the public to ride the steam train.

The steam train will leave Hua Lamphong station in Bangkok at 8 a.m. on Sunday 23rd March. It will stop at Samsen, Bang Sue, Bang Khen, Laksi and Don Muang stations. It is due to arrive in Ayutthaya at 10:30 a.m. The return journey will start at 5 p.m. and is expected to reach Hua Lamphong at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets for the steam train trip is 222 Baht per person. If you wish to join the tour of Ayutthaya, the combined ticket is 555 Baht. Tickets can be bought from these stations and more: Hua Lamphong, Samsen, Bang Sue, Laksi, Don Mueang, Rangsit, Taling Chan, Makkasan, Klong Tan, Hua Maak, Lat Krabang, Wong Wian Yai and Talad Phlu.

If you want to go on this trip, you need to buy the tickets now as they always run out quickly. However, if you don’t get a chance to buy a ticket, you can still go and take pictures of the train at Hua Lamphong station or anywhere along the route as it leaves Bangkok.

13 Responses to Steam Train Trip to Ayutthaya on 23rd March 2014

1. Stephen Hanchey
    February 18, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Where can we buy tickets for the steam train trip on March 23?

February 18, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Like it says above, visit any of the train stations in Bangkok.

2. Dokhello
    February 23, 2014 at 8:56 am

What’s in the tour do you know? Apparently the railways website is down

3. Sheena
    February 25, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Do you happen to know if these tickets can be bought online or over the phone? I don’t live near any of these stations.

4. Adrienne
    March 7, 2014 at 8:52 am

Hi–have you heard whether tickets for steam train are sold out?
    Also what are my options for returning to Bangkok if I don’t want to stay til departure time at 5pm? Is it minibus?

March 7, 2014 at 10:12 am

Minibus or earlier train. If you don’t have tickets for the steam train, you can take pics at Hua Lamphong station, then hop on the next Ayutthaya train which will get there first so you can take pics as it arrives. So, I’m told.

5. Adrienne
    March 7, 2014 at 9:24 am

FYI: ticket counter person said steam train tickets are sol out. Let me know if otherwise!

6. ml
    March 18, 2014 at 5:08 pm

is it still sold out ?

March 18, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Yes, so I am told. But you can still go and take pictures at the station.

• Diane Anthony
        March 26, 2014 at 2:41 am

A possible tip for your followers for future events…I was just in Bangkok and read about this event so went to the train station on Saturday, 3/22. I inquired at the “information center” who advised there were still 10 tickets. When I went to the ticket counter, she told me the event was sold out but when I told her the information desk said there were 10 remaining, she checked again so by tremendous luck I was able to get a ticket! The adventure was the highlight of my trip Bangkok. I appreciated reading your blog about the event, so thank you!

7. Carsten
    March 26, 2014 at 2:31 am

Hi! I’m going to visit Thailand with my family in mid of april. This time, my father joins us, it’s for him the first time in Thailand and he is a big steamtrain enthusiast. Are there any running or displayed steamtrains in Bangkok or Pattaya that can be seen or visited? Greetings from Germany, Carsten

March 26, 2014 at 11:42 am

There are no running steam trains that I know about in April. But many train stations have steam trains on display outside. Though I’m not sure about the station in Pattaya. I doubt there is one there. But Hua Lamphong in Bangkok has one. Or did when I took a picture four years ago.