This weekend I have a trip up north to Phrae and Nan. The following weekend I’m also away. This time in Ayutthaya for the 10th World Wai Khru Muay Thai Ceremony. Boxers from more than 40 countries around the world will take part in a ceremony to pay respect to Muay Thai masters. There will also be demonstration matches as well as a show of Thai traditional handicraft. The main event is on Monday 17 March, however, I heard that there will be smaller events over the weekend. So, I decided to go up early to explore the ancient city on my bicycle. I will also be taking my drone so look out for some pictures on Twitter @RichardBarrow. As there will be many people in Ayutthaya that weekend, I have already booked accommodation at Tony’s Place Bed and Breakfast. Has anyone stayed there?
Schedule for Monday 17th March 2014:
- 07.00 am: Attend the rituals to worship Nai Khanom Tom at Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Stadium.
- 01.00 pm: Miracle Muay Thai Festival at Wat Langka Khao, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Historical Park.
- – The championship match to win the W.P.M.F Belt, Super Welterweight (69.8 kg.) of World. Professional Muay Thai Federation and the professional Muay Thai competition of Thai and foreign boxers.
- – Muay Thai Demonstration by Buakaw Banchamek : , K-1 Champion.
- 04.30 pm: Learn and enjoy the demontrations of Thai arts, handicrafts, the traditional Thai tattoo, making of Aranyik swords and performing of Thai martial arts.
- 06.00 pm: Wai Kru Muay Thai Ceremony.
- 07.30 pm: Welcome reception, enjoy “Amazing Thailand” Show.
More information: http://www.muaythaifestival.com/
Anyone else going for the Wai Khru Ceremony on the Monday? If you have any tips on what to do in Ayutthaya for four days then please let me know. I normally only go there as daytrips. I’m looking forward to this and hopefully will get lots of pictures.