All the latest news from Bangkok and Thailand for Saturday and what’s on this weekend can be found on this blog updated throughout the day and also on Twitter @RichardBarrow
UPDATES FOR SATURDAY:
- #Bangkok for Kids: “Firefighters’ Day” at Neilson Hays Library (10:30am-noon), Human Acrobats Show at Seacon Bangkae (4:30pm & 6:30pm), Ice Cream Festival 2013 at CentralPlaza Chaengwattana & Music Festival at Funarium on Sukhumwit Soi 26 (10am-4:45pm)
- Strong winds, high waves in Krabi hit 60 long-tailed boats; 100 tourists left stranded on Koh Hong island (MCOT)
- Rough seas along Krabi coast capsize 60 boats, two injured http://bit.ly/10Ztyf2
- Lod Canal in #Bangkok off limits to vendors during the day – The Nation http://buff.ly/10Srch3
- Four car pile-up this morning. Looks like someone was driving too fast (Pic @kalykan) pic.twitter.com/qvXOqrLHDF
- Bombs black out Yala district (Bangkok Post) http://goo.gl/12CDX
- Nine dead in Phuket wedding guest truck crash http://buff.ly/10TfoLI
- PM pitches hub vision to Japanese investors (Bangkok Post) http://buff.ly/12CwboK
- Aunt denies pimping girl in S. Korea (Bangkok Post) buff.ly/16ftAYj
- Phuket Police Arrest Four Bar Managers Over Alcohol Sales Breaches – Phuket Wan http://buff.ly/10qbgr0
- Thai, UK mints seek coin blank agreement (Bangkok Post) http://buff.ly/19bid2a
- Thailand admits abuses of human rights (Bangkok Post) http://buff.ly/13RdRaN
- Brunei to whip overstaying Thais (Bangkok Post) http://buff.ly/134x9KI
- Fox International Channels Inks Deal with Thailand’s GMM Grammy – Hollywood Reporter http://buff.ly/13R9tZn
- Deadly blast targets Thai soldiers – Al Jazeera English http://buff.ly/12TitiW
- Decline of Buddhism in Thailand – PBS http://buff.ly/13R9H2w
- More rain with isolated heavy falls is likely over the western Central, the East and the South West Coast of Thailand. People in these areas should be aware of heavy rain during the next few days. Large waves in the upper Andaman Sea of about 2 meters. All ships in the areas should proceed with caution during 25-26 May, 2013 [MORE]
- Weather for Bangkok: Scattered thundershowers mostly in the afternoon to evening. The thundershowers will move from west to the east. Maximum temperature 34-36 °C. Minimum temperature 26-27 °C. Southwesterly winds 15-35 km/hr. [Live Rain Radar]
- Highest temperature in Thailand yesterday was 38.5C in Wichian Buri. In Bangkok the hottest was 36.1C.
- RT @ThonglorEkamai: Have you heard of CSA Munching Box? Delivers fresh organic fruits & vegs weekly (500b/box 50b deliv) https://t.co/Yrq2S8r0do
- RT @Neutral_bliss: http://t.co/YtGZReNMen The bottom section of this page may be useful if it is up-to-date.
- RT @kasparsowner: http://t.co/yFnTtgMWkY
- RT @LasiaBKK: Lemon organic food store on Langsuan close to the BTS.
- RT @BKKConcierge: check out http://t.co/hJ9d0Wc4SC, probably best listing for #green #Bangkok.
- RT @Neutral_bliss: http://t.co/ufV6wMPt8P A few branches there. One near me on Phaholyothin. Sukhumwit 39 amongst others.
- RT @SamDerbali: there’s one shop at the BTS exit of Saphaan Kwaay, Villa also sells many organic food
- RT @GibbsBKK: ‘Spice R Us’ Indian Grocery Store has fair selection of Ayurvedic supplements next 2 Rembrandt Towers behind Hotel.
- RT @NeilShelley: There’s one opposite Central Bang Na – not sure what it’s like though
- RT @hullosum: farmer shop @KU
- Three new movies this week in Thailand: “Fast & Furious 6”, “Crush” & cartoon “Epic”. Still showing: Great Gatsby, Star Trek & Iron Man 3.
- “Fast & Furious 6” got off to a good start in Bangkok making 24.4 Million Baht on the first day. Will most likely reach 100M Baht by Sunday
- Thailand Mobile Expo 2013 Hi-end will take place at QSNCC (ศูนย์การประชุมแห่งชาติสิริกิิติ์) from 23-26 May.
- Next Bangkok Farmers Market will take place on Saturday 25th May at K Village on Sukhumwit 26 http://buff.ly/12TZAep
- Human Acrobats Show at Seacon Bangkae on Phetkasem Rd at 4:30pm & 6:30pm until Sunday. Free admission
- Ice Cream Festival 2013 at CentralPlaza Chaengwattana until Tuesday
- “Firefighters’ Day at Neilson Hays Library on Saturday 25 May from 10:30am-noon. Entry 150B per child
- Funarium on Sukhumwit Soi 26 is holding a musical festival for children this weekend from 10am-4:45pm. Fun activities & songs
- Watch Australian Rules Football at Bangkok Patana School’s sports complex on Sukhumwit Soi 105 on Saturday at 2:30pm
- Just heard the Bangkok Farmers Market will be a regular event every Saturday from June at different venues. Love the community atmosphere here.
EVENTS COMING SOON IN BANGKOK AND THAILAND:
- USA Fair Returning to CentralWorld on 31 May-2 June 2013 http://buff.ly/16e1X1D
- Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2013 | Thai Travel News by Paknam Web http://buff.ly/10QGmUa
- Anantara Announces Dates of Elephant Polo Tournament http://buff.ly/17Yy2dz
- Siam Tulip Festival (เทศกาลท่องเที่ยวดอกกระเจียว) in Chaiyaphum from 9 June-31 August
- Over 1,600 shops can be found at the OTOP Midyear 2013 fair from 28 May to 2 June at Muang Thong Thani.
- Please Vote Thai: Top 100 Language Lovers of 2013 | @womenlearnthai http://buff.ly/11gk5EW
- Jim Algie Reviews “Navigating the Bangkok Noir” | @kriskoles http://buff.ly/10WxgpQ
- The Internet, English and the Motorcycle Taxi Driver » Farang ( ฝรั่ง) In Bangkok http://buff.ly/18ma1ee
- Alcohol Sales Ban in Thailand on Friday | @RichardBarrow http://buff.ly/16cZe8J
- Learn How to Eat Healthily in Bangkok | @RichardBarrow http://buff.ly/11gkveE
- Perception v. Reality for Bangkok, Thailand » American Expat in Chiang Mai http://buff.ly/18magWt
TODAY IN THAI HISTORY ON TWITTER:
- 25 May 2012: HM The King arriving in Ayutthaya now for his first extended trip outside of the hospital since he was admitted in 2009
- 25 May 2012: If you didn’t know already, Lady Gaga will perform in “The Born This Way Ball” at Rajamangala Stadium tonight. Activities start from 11am.
- 25 May 2011: Thai Travel News: Will “Hangover II” be bad for Thai Tourism? http://bit.ly/jbr6KM
- 25 May 2010: Briton, Australian arrested over Thai unrest http://bit.ly/asAuo4