Thailand News Summary for Friday 24 May 2013
- DSI `surprised’ at more suspects in CentralWorld blaze (Bangkok Post) http://buff.ly/16X9RfY
- Japan eyes high-speed rail bid; Yingluck, Abe meet to discuss investment (Bangkok Post) http://buff.ly/18m3MXO
- 3G will boost mobile, tablet sales in Thailand to a record 25 million this year (Bangkok Post) http://buff.ly/16XaNAQ
- Dems to ask charter court to block B2 trillion loan (Bangkok Post) http://buff.ly/16Xb6f3
- Two Dead following Sewer accident at Central Festival Pattaya Beach (Pattaya One) http://buff.ly/10VmyD5
- BMA plans to campaign for a section of the Chao Phraya River to be listed as a Unesco World Heritage site (Nation) http://buff.ly/12QYoK6
- Human rights agency raises concerns about Asylum-seekers in Thailand (Nation) http://buff.ly/Z43a6c
- Long-running gem serves up authentic curries great-grandma would have heartily approved of (Bangkok Post) http://buff.ly/18mrymj
- Bomb in Saiburi district of Pattani this morning has killed 4 & injured 2
- UPDATE: Fifth ranger dies from bomb (Bangkok Post) http://goo.gl/TKLmh
WEATHER FOR THAILAND:
- Abundant rains are likely over Thailand and isolated heavy rain in the eastern North, the upper Northeast, the East and the South West Coast. People in these areas should be careful of heavy rain during this period. Large waves in the upper Andaman Sea of up to about 2 meters. All ships in the areas should proceed with caution during 24-26 May, 2013 [MORE]
- Weather for Bangkok: Scattered thundershowers mostly in the afternoon and evening & will move from west to east side. Temp 26-37°C. [Live Rain Radar]
- Highest temperature in Thailand yesterday was 38.6C in Lampang. In Bangkok the hottest was 37.0C. The heaviest recorded rainfall was 42.4mm at Phuket Airport.
- Today in Thailand it’s Visakha Bucha Day. It commemorates the birth, enlightenment & passing of the Buddha. From Friday to Sunday there is a long weekend in Thailand. Places like banks, Immigration and the post office are closed.
- As today is a Buddhist holiday, there is an alcohol ban and bars and pubs will be closed tonight [MORE]
- Today, Museum Siam in Bangkok is free. Normal price for foreigners is 300 Baht
- US Embassy in Bangkok is closed for a 4 day holiday as Monday is Memorial Day. The British and Canadian Embassies are open today.
- On Friday, 12pm-5pm, Ancient Siam in Samut Prakan is free – RT @
Jinevive: วันที่ 24 พ.ค. เมืองโบราณเปิดให้ชมฟรี 12.00น.-17.00น.
- New Movies Opening in Thailand this week: “Fast & Furious 6”, “Epic” & “Crush”. Still showing includes Great Gatsby, Star Trek & Iron Man 3.
- Greater Bangkok: Power Outage Notification from now until 26 May 2013 http://buff.ly/11dhifH
- Crackdown on pirated goods this weekend in Bangkok: Khlong Thom Market, Ban Mor, Saphan Lek, MBK, Pantip, Sukhumvit Sois 13-19, Silom & Soi Patpong.
NEW MOVIES THIS WEEKEND IN THAILAND:
- Three new movies this week in Thailand: “Fast & Furious 6”, “Crush” & cartoon “Epic”. Still showing: Great Gatsby, Star Trek & Iron Man 3.
- “Fast & Furious 6” got off to a good start in Bangkok making 24.4 Million Baht on the first day. Will most likely reach 100M Baht by Sunday
EVENTS THIS WEEKEND IN BANGKOK AND THAILAND:
- Thailand Mobile Expo 2013 Hi-end will take place at QSNCC (ศูนย์การประชุมแห่งชาติสิริกิิติ์) from 23-26 May.
- Next Bangkok Farmers Market will take place on Saturday 25th May at K Village on Sukhumwit 26 http://buff.ly/12TZAep
- Human Acrobats Show at Seacon Bangkae on Phetkasem Rd at 4:30pm & 6:30pm until Sunday. Free admission
- Ice Cream Festival 2013 at CentralPlaza Chaengwattana until Tuesday
- “Firefighters’ Day at Neilson Hays Library on Saturday 25 May from 10:30am-noon. Entry 150B per child
- Funarium on Sukhumwit Soi 26 is holding a musical festival for children this weekend from 10am-4:45pm. Fun activities & songs
- Watch Australian Rules Football at Bangkok Patana School’s sports complex on Sukhumwit Soi 105 on Saturday at 2:30pm
EVENTS COMING SOON IN BANGKOK AND THAILAND:
- USA Fair Returning to CentralWorld on 31 May-2 June 2013 http://buff.ly/16e1X1D
- Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2013 | Thai Travel News by Paknam Web http://buff.ly/10QGmUa
- Anantara Announces Dates of Elephant Polo Tournament http://buff.ly/17Yy2dz
- Siam Tulip Festival (เทศกาลท่องเที่ยวดอกกระเจียว) in Chaiyaphum from 9 June-31 August
- Over 1,600 shops can be found at the OTOP Midyear 2013 fair from 28 May to 2 June at Muang Thong Thani.
- Bangkok Wins Best in Asia Award 2013 http://buff.ly/13KWOKG
- Toy Thailand | @thai4c http://buff.ly/10lS224
- Food review: Sunrise Tacos (central Bangkok) | @chrisbacke http://buff.ly/13GQ2lL
- True Move Launch New House Brand Devices | @RichardBarrow http://buff.ly/181Mqlh
- Cabbages & Condoms | @KarisAbroad http://buff.ly/12U4aJw
- Bangkok Taxis Fares Could Go up Soon | @RichardBarrow http://buff.ly/166zyul
- Fortune Telling Taxi Driver | @taxi_talismans http://buff.ly/14vcX6G
- Reclaiming the Footpath for Pedestrians | @RichardBarrow http://buff.ly/12TZQdh
- May 24, 2013: Vesek Day Holiday in Thailand » Farang ( ฝรั่ง) In Bangkok http://buff.ly/13JpKCZ
- Overloaded Passenger Vans in Bangkok | @RichardBarrow http://buff.ly/ZbPvMF
TODAY IN THAI HISTORY ON TWITTER:
- 24 May 2012: Lot’s of chatter on Thai social media about @ladygaga‘s “fake Rolex” tweet. Some suggest it’s alright then to buy fake copies of her CDs.
- 24 May 2010: Italian photographer Fabio Polenghi, who was killed in street clashes, was cremated at a temple in Klong Toey (Bangkok Post)
2 thoughts on “Thailand News Summary for Friday 24 May 2013”
Good idea Richard to give an overview like this!
Thanks. People keep asking me to put together all my tweets on things like upcoming events. So, I thought I would try this “news summary” with live updates during the day. Another reason is not everyone that follows my blog also use twitter. And so I thought they must be missing out on a lot of my news. If it’s popular I will continue.