US President Lyndon B. Johnson visited Thailand twice while he was in office. First time was a state visit from 27-30 October 1966 where he met H.M King Rama IX. In the picture above, President and Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson pose with King Bhumibol and Queen Sirikit before the start of a formal dinner in the Chakri Throne Hall of the Royal Palace. His second visit to Thailand was on 23 December 1967 to visit US troops stationed in Khorat.
Above is a short video from the US National Archives entitled “His Majesty’s Visitor – President Johnson’s Visit To Thailand”. A 50 minute DVD of the same name is for sale in amazon.com.
OFFICIAL VISITS BY US PRESIDENTS TO THAILAND:
- Lyndon B. Johnson Bangkok. State visit; met with King Bhumibol Adulyadej. October 27-30, 1966
- Lyndon B. Johnson Khorat. Visited US. military personnel. December 23, 1967
- Richard M. Nixon Bangok. State visit; met with King Bhumibol Adulyadej. July 28-30, 1969
- William J. Clinton Bangkok. State Visit. November 25-26, 1996
- George W. Bush Bangkok. Attended the APEC Summit Meeting. October 18-21, 2003
- George W. Bush Bangkok. Met with Prime Minister Samak and addressed Burmese activists. August 6-7, 2008