The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other government agencies are hosting the Remembrance Ceremony “Ten Years on: Remembering the Indian Ocean Tsunami” at the Police Boat T813 Tsunami Memorial, Takua Pa District, Phang Nga Province, 26-27 December 2014.
This event will be an opportunity to:
1) Remember those who lost their lives and showing support to those who survived;
2) Express appreciation to those who helped us in difficult times, and;
3) Raise awareness of the public and the international community on effective early warning system and disaster preparedness.
The National Broadcasting Services of Thailand (NBT) will broadcast the ceremony on 26th December 2014 from 5 p.m. The official programme will start at 5:30 p.m. presided over by General Prayut Chan-o-cha, Prime Minister of Thailand, as Chairman of the ceremony. The official programme includes observance of a moment of silence, wreath laying ceremony, video presentation of the restoration and development of local communities, remarks by Thai and foreign dignitaries, poetry reading and candlelight memorial, and performance by the Bangkok Symphony Orchestra. On 27th December 2014, foreign dignitaries will visit Ban Namkhem Community and Chai Pattana Village, which are the disaster-resilient community models.
“Ten Years on: Remembering the Indian Ocean Tsunami” 26 – 28 December 2014
at Takua Pa District, Phang-nga Province
Friday 26th December 2014
17.00 hrs. Starts Live Broadcast on NBT Channel
17.30 hrs.- 18.30 hrs. Official programme of the Remembrance Ceremony, “Ten Years on: Remembering the Indian Ocean Tsunami”
- Welcome remarks by Chairman of the Preparatory Committee of the Remembrance Ceremony
- Keynote address in remembrance of victims and survivors of the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami by High-level Representative of the Royal Thai Government –
- Observance of a moment of silence
- Wreath laying at the Police Boat T813 Tsunami Memorial by High-level Representative of the Royal Thai Government and foreign dignitaries
- VDO Presentation on “Ten Years on: Remembering the Indian Ocean Tsunami in Thailand”
- Remarks by Thai and foreign dignitaries
- Poetry reading by local and international figures in remembrance of the lives perished and the survivors
- Candlelight memorial and the release of newly composed memorial song “Hold me close”
19.00 hrs. Reception hosted by the Royal Thai Government at Pullman Khao Lak Katiliya Resort and Villas
Saturday 27th December 2014
09.30 hrs. Foreign Dignitaries and Heads of Missions in Bangkok attend a study visit to Ban Namkhem (Disaster resilient community model project)
11.00 hrs. Foreign Dignitaries and Heads of Missions arrives at Ban Thung Rak 2004
Over 1,300 participants of Thai and foreign public, high level representatives from Thai Government, diplomatic corps and foreign representatives from countries directly affected by the tsunami on 2004 are expected to participate in the event. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs invites the general public and the media to participate in this Remembrance Ceremony. Thai and foreign media can register at www.tsunamimemorial.com from now to 20 December 2014.
Source: Press Release