Map and Updates on the Coup in Thailand

May 20, 2014

martiallaw

[Updated 14/June/2014] We went from Martial Law on Tuesday 20 May to a fully fledged military coup on Thursday 22 May. The takeover by the army is being called “bloodless” at the moment but this could change. The Red Shirts who support the government, originally said that they would rise up if the military attempted a coup. No sign of that so far. So, what does a coup mean for the average tourist and expat in Bangkok and Thailand? Well, the main hindrance for them was the nightly curfew. But this was dropped nationwide on 13th June 2014.  Follow me on Twitter for latest information.

UPDATE: Curfew has now been dropped in Thailand.

SCROLL DOWN FOR LATEST UPDATES on TWITTER >>>

When people talk about a coup they imagine the streets to be flooded with tanks and soldiers and bloody street by street fighting. Not so here in Bangkok. At least, not so far. At the moment, all of the tourist attractions in Bangkok are open as normal as are the government offices like Immigration.  All of the shopping malls and markets are also open as normal. The skytrain, subway and airport rail link operate as normal. The airport and all flights are also operating as normal.

CNN International: Richard Barrow, a full-time travel blogger based in Bangkok, is a top source for those seeking news about the protests as well as travel advice for tourists. He can be followed at Twitter.com/richardbarrow

For the latest news, always check my twitter feed. I am tweeting 24/7 at the moment. Literally.

@RichardBarrow

Please read my latest tweets above before asking questions.

View larger map

Purple markers are main tourist attractions. Baskets are shopping areas. Red markers are popular protest sites but are empty most of the time. Flags are possible protest sites. This map is updated as and when there is an incident.

TRAVEL ADVICE FROM THE UK GOVERNMENT: You should take extra care and avoid all protest sites, political gatherings, demonstrations and marches in Bangkok [MORE] TRAVEL ADVICE FROM THE US GOVERNMENT: U.S. citizens are advised to stay alert, exercise caution, and monitor media coverage. You are advised to avoid areas where there are protest events, large gatherings, or security operations and follow the instructions of Thai authorities [MORE] Feel free to post your questions in the comments below. But, don’t ask me to predict the future. No-one knows what tomorrow will bring! I don’t get paid to help tourists on twitter. If you would like to buy me a beer or make a donation, please use the form in the top left. Also, if you book your hotel on agoda by using this link, I get a small commission. It doesn’t affect your price. Thanks.

357 Responses to Map and Updates on the Coup in Thailand

1. Michael Strecker
    June 4, 2014 at 1:34 pm

My family’s flight arrives in BKK during the curfew hours (12:30am). I usually have a friend pick me up at the airport and take us to our hotel. Is this allowable under the current curfew rules, or do we need to grab a couple of taxis?

June 4, 2014 at 2:22 pm

You are allowed to travel to and from the airport during curfew. But make sure you have documents to proove that you are doing this – like tickets/passports etc. If worried, then take a taxi.

2. Silvia
    June 4, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Hi Richard,

I’m just wondering if you know whether the overnight train from Bangkok to phitsanulok is affected by the curfew? I think it departs at 10pm.

Many thanks!

June 6, 2014 at 10:55 am

Should be running as normal. But no trains will leave once curfew approaches.

3. June 5, 2014 at 12:52 am

Hello Richard, I am planning a 20 day trip to Thailand for the month of July. Do you think that next month the situation will remain stable? you see a regular flow of tourists in Bangkok? I have not yet bought the ticket …. thank you very much

June 6, 2014 at 10:55 am

Difficult to say with any certainty as there are many factors. Obviously, the longer you wait the better the situation should become.

4. Jane Tan
    June 5, 2014 at 8:38 am

Hi Richard, I be going to Bkk in next week and is staying around pratunam area. Just would like to find out how is the current situation and is it safe to travel around. Thank you!

June 6, 2014 at 10:56 am

The situation at the moment is quiet in every district if Bangkok.

5. Benz Tan
    June 5, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Hello Mr Richard,
    firstly thanks for all the updates of Thailand. I actually have plans to head to BKK in early July for a couple of days, from the news there isn’t any update of the Thailand election is going to happen which I thought maybe in July.

It just left me not sure should I go ahead and book or change my plan, as situation seems to slowly build up into something more serious perhaps?

6. Mark
    June 6, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Hello Richard, do you know anything about the BOI being back in place or is that still on hold it was due to restart in May.

June 9, 2014 at 9:43 am

All I know is the the coup general is now the boss of the BOI.

7. judith clark
    June 9, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Dear Richard,
    Shouldn’t travel warnings be lifted for tourists? The curfew has been lifted in most tourist destinations, why are foreign embassies still painting Thailand black? It’s safe to travel in Thailand now.
    Thanks, Judith

8. Matthew
    June 10, 2014 at 4:06 pm

How’s the tourist reacting over there now? Are the shopping still as busy as before?

9. Javen
    June 10, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Hi Richard!

Just wondering if you have any idea on the weather in Krabi for the month of June?

Does it falls under the raining season or period?

Any trusted weather site that can be used?

Thanks!

10. judith clark
    June 10, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Hello Richard,
    Thanks for your updates on the lifting of the curfew in more tourist destinations in Thailand. My favorite place to visit is Koh Tao and its breath taking coral reefs. Also Koh Chang is an island paradise I love to visit too. What’s your favorite place to visit?
    Thanks, Judith

11. judith clark
    June 11, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Dear Richard,
    For travelers new to Thailand what is your current advice? And being that your opinion is respected amongst travelers to Thailand, what influences your guiding?
    Yours openly, Judith

June 12, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I think a lot of people agree that security in Thailand is now better than before the coup. Which is good news for expats and tourists. (However, not so for the local people and their human rights.) You will find that the main tourist destinations around Thailand no longer have a curfew and everything is normal. Even in Bangkok you would hardly know there was a coup, apart from bars closing at midnight. As long as you have valid insurance I wouldn’t hesitate about coming here. In fact my cousin is come to Thailand soon for the first time. Just keep up with the news while you are here.

12. judith clark
    June 12, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Dear Richard,
    The curfew imposed to restore peace and harmony will soon be lifted throughout Thailand. This is because everyone wants peace and harmony. Thai people love each other and understand the current events. Foreign eyes might not, but as you advise it is safer now in Thailand. My mother is coming over in October and we’re planning to travel to Koh Samui for two weeks. She’s 73 and looking forward to it, hope others paranoid view of Thai life doesn’t change her mind.
    Yours happyly, Judith

13. June 12, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I recently graduated from law school and am planning on moving to Thailand. Of course, this choice has been met with some hostility. I have been watching the information about the coup (I was actually in Egypt during the protests and the ousting of Morsi).

I wonder how things are looking in Chiang Mai, which is where I will be moving.

14. judith clark
    June 13, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Hi Richard,
    Latest travel advise issued by most foreign embassies in Thailand recently is good advise. Have you read it? Travel is far more interesting to read about.
    Just saying, Judith

June 13, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Can you give me some links. I did a quick google search and found this on the US Embassy web site:

“The U.S. Department of State recommends that U.S. citizens reconsider any non-essential travel to Thailand”

15. judith clark
    June 13, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Dear Richard,
    I live in Thailand and it is safer now than it was during the months of protests. Freedom of speech is as it has always been in Thailand. The flag of Thailand has meaning. Thai means free. I understand the need for the army to step in and keep the peace. Travel blogging is good for tourism but ongoing updates negative towards the army is wrong. I am a guest in the Kingdom of Thailand, leave it to them to solve their own problems.
    This is my last post, Judith

June 13, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Judith, take a look at the date of this blog. It’s several weeks old. I’m not sure what you are talking about as I’ve only written this one blog about the coup.

16. judith clark
    June 14, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Dear Richard,
    Is the crackdown on illegal immigrants similar to neighboring countries this year, notably Malaysia. Shouldn’t immigrant workers registered to work legally, the law is the law. You are registered to work here, so should everyone else.
    Regards, Judith

June 15, 2014 at 10:15 am

There are an estimated 80,000 legal Cambodians working here. Many have fled after rumours of beatings & shootings by the Thai army. There are always two sides to each story.

17. judith clark
    June 15, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Dear Richard,
    Rumors of beatings and shootings. Hmm, is their any solid evidence? Also I see that Thailand is strengthening its relationship with China, do you know any travel bloggers who give useful advice in Chinese?
    Judith

18. judith clark
    June 15, 2014 at 9:52 pm

My friend Richard,
    Please publish the happy side of Thai life, are you not promoting Thailand as a travel blogger? Listen to the cranberries song Zombie. Cheer up old chap, your depressing the travelers with your negative mood.
    Take Prozac, Judith

June 16, 2014 at 6:54 am

I am starting to find your comments a little strange. You do realize you are posting comments on a blog that is weeks and weeks old? Yes, I am a travel blogger. This here is my personal blog. Can I suggest you go and visit my travel blog over at http://www.ThaiTravelBlogs.com!

19. Monica
    June 18, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Hi Richard,
    How is the condition in bangkok currently?
    Is it safe for tourists to visit bangkok now?

20. warwick
    June 18, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Well, since much safer then i feeling better and safe next week flight to there :)

21. Aks
    June 19, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Dear Richard,

thanks for very useful info on the ground. It is very reassuring. We are planning a trip to Thailand towards end July. Just wanted to check base for any political event( elections, referendum, signing charters etc) that you know of happening around that time. Assumption being, such days might be more “Active” days for the protests.

Thanks,

June 23, 2014 at 8:18 am

There are no longer any active days for protesters or even protest sites. But do keep up with breaking news on Twitter.

22. ana
    July 2, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Hi Richard,

Could you give me the best and cheap option transportation from bangkok to ko samui? Which hotel do you suggest for stay in ko samui?
    Thanks