How to Watch the World Cup on Demand in Thailand

May 16, 2014

world cup 2014

We are just weeks away now from the opening matches of the 20th FIFA World Cup hosted in Brazil. Thai TV will most likely be showing all of the matches, but you will be getting a Thai commentary and frequent advertising breaks. To solve this problem, you could try subscription services like Thai Expat TV and 365Sport. They will not only have all 64 games in HD quality, but they will also have English commentary from the BBC and ITV.

One of the best things about Thai Expat TV and 365Sport is that they have a “On Demand” services.  The opening match between host nation Brazil v Croatia kicks off on Thursday 12th June at 9pm on ITV in the UK (which is 3 a.m. in Thailand), so having the option to watch all of these late games when you wake up, or at your discretion, really is key to getting the most out of this competition. All matches will be broadcast live and will remain available to view on catch-up. ThaiExpatTV has 7 days on demand and 365Sport has 5 days.

Here is the schedule (UK times shown) for the opening group stages of the cup:

GROUP A

Belgium vs Russia, Rio de Janeiro, 5pm BBC
South Korea vs Algeria, Porto Alegre, 8pm ITV

Thursday, 26 June
South Korea vs Belgium, São Paulo, 9pm ITV
Algeria vs Russia, Curitiba, 9pm ITV

How to Watch Thai Expat TV and 365Sport

I have been using ThaiExpatTV for several years now and I’m very happy with their service. I have their mobile package and either watch on my iPad or on the big screen by using an Apple TV. I also bought an Android box from them which has a better interface with a dedicated app. You not only get to watch UK TV channels live or 7 days on demand but also fast forward/rewind in steps of 1 or 5 minutes. I have also used 365Sport in much the same way. They have very similar interfaces. I watch them on the iPad/Apple TV and also on a browser on my Smart TV. I am not sure how their Android box is set up as i don’t have one. Which service you choose all depends on what other channels you want.

Some people like to use iPlayer to watch British TV and Sports Channels with a VPN service. But I find that by doing this there is a lot of buffering. With ThaiExpatTV and 365Sport their servers are here in Thailand and so there is hardly any buffering and no need for a VPN service. I rarely have any problems with my connection.

For more information or to get a free trial to test it out now, visit the ThaiExpatTV and 365Sport websites.

31 Responses to How to Watch the World Cup on Demand in Thailand

1. Kevin
    May 16, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your blog with always accurate and up to date information.

You often talk about Thai Expat TV, but there is also 365 sports. Do you think 365 sports will show the World Cup as well ?

Have you tried both and which service do you think is better ? I’ve been using 365 sports for the past few months, and I have to say, I am not totally satisfied, they have streaming problems, on-demand doesn’t work properly sometimes (you click on a program to watch it from the beginning and it shows right in the middle, it’s annoying especially when it’s a football game), their servers are sometimes down. Do you think it’s worth it to change to Thai Expat TV ?

Cheers.

May 16, 2014 at 7:00 pm

I am about to update the blog as I’ve just found out 365Sport also has the football. I have both but like ThaiExpat more. It just depends on how much sport you want.

• Kevin
        May 17, 2014 at 12:02 am

Funny enough, about 3 or 4 hours after posting this message on your blog I received an email from 365Sports telling me they would broadcast the 64 World Cup games and apparently create new channels specially for the event.

If you don’t have the email, I can send you a copy for all the details.

May 17, 2014 at 9:33 am

I think they follow me blog and felt left out 🙂 I have now updated it. Thanks.

• Alan
        June 1, 2014 at 6:20 am

Hi Richard, we are coming over on holiday for the World Cup & have just found out our hotel will not be showing the World Cup & given the current curfew it will make it very difficult to watch the games. We have an iPad & I was wondering is there any way we will be able to stream the games through that onto our hotel TV ? Do Thai Expat TV or 365 Sports do short term packages?

June 1, 2014 at 6:27 am

I use those services on my iPad. In fact I watched them last night at the hotel I’m staying at. But there is no guarantee of good internet at every hotel. Yes, you can pay month by month.

June 1, 2014 at 6:28 am

I should add, free TV will have most matches but no English and frequent ad breaks

• Alan
            June 1, 2014 at 6:36 am

We are staying at the Metadee resort in Kata & I emailed them & they replied that the games will not be on our hotel room TV’s. I don’t mind turning volume down & having no commentary, but I do mind missing the games. We are considering cancelling our holiday . Generally it looks from what I have read that there is no problems other than the curfew. Could that be lifted?

June 1, 2014 at 8:03 am

Curfew will be lifted at some point. Not sure when. Depends on what happens next.

2. Robert
    May 17, 2014 at 8:43 am

I use 365sport they have some channels in HD. They will broadcast live in HD all matches of the worldcup and they will be available for 5 days after being played, according their mail. It works great on a 10mb internet connection, i am probably old fashioned but I stream it to my laptop and use an HDMI cable to watch it on tv 🙂

May 17, 2014 at 9:35 am

I know people who do that and it works fine as long as you have a good computer/laptop. I also know people with old computers who are having difficulty with processing power etc. Using an Android box not only solves that problem but leaves your computer/laptop to do other things. I bought one Android box from these guy and in my bedroom I use an android box that I had bought elsewhere. Both work fine.

• Robert
        May 20, 2014 at 5:20 am

Yeah I have heard of these things – Android boxes, I have never seen one in action though, and most likely if I buy one it will end up in the back of a cabinet, unless it is plug & play but they rarely are, at least not with me.

• Scott Fearon
      May 25, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Looking for some help i have just paid at tesco lotus the 900 bht to get started for 365 sport tv but when i go back to the 365 website its saying its unpaid do you know what i can do to get started?

3. M Thomson
    June 4, 2014 at 1:18 am

Do you know which provider will 365 sports be using for their feeds for the world cup? Is it BBC or Fox sports america?

4. zoran
    June 6, 2014 at 6:56 pm

do you guys know when pay for the sun box it’s gone be only one time or it’s monthly and do you can youse after the world cup

5. Malcolm Tetley
    June 9, 2014 at 9:40 am

Hi Richard, Its now 5 days to World Cup and incredibly it appears still no clarity about coverage on Thai TV/ Truevisions. Any news from you? I have Thaiexpat TV, so hope to watch there, but there is a nasty rumour that the rights holder in Thailand might be able to block Thaiexpat TV for the duration of the World Cup matches. Again, have you heard this rumour? I have emailed to the expat TV helpdesk and await their response.

June 9, 2014 at 9:42 am

They have never blocked them before so cannot see them doing so this time. At the moment, 25 matches will be shown on free TV channels & & 8 and the rest on RS. But True are in the courts now trying to get their hands on a bigger slice of the pie for free.

6. Vic
    June 9, 2014 at 5:35 pm

We will know on Tuesday whether they will show on true or free tv for all the free matches.
    I don’t think thaiexpat tv can be blocked as it’s free tv from the UK

June 9, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Just announced that TrueVisions will get all 64 matches. I think free TV, Channels 7 & 8 will only get 24 matches or so.

7. Alan Rowley
    June 10, 2014 at 7:05 am

‘The opening match between host nation Brazil v Croatia kicks off on Thursday 12th June at 3 a.m. (Thailand time)’

No, it really doesn’t. Sao Paulo time is 10 hours behind Bangkok time, so it kicks off at 7.00am Friday 13th June.

June 10, 2014 at 7:19 am

As mentioned in the blog, all times are UK times where the matches are being shown on BBC and ITV. First match is 9pm in the UK on the 12th June which is 3am in Thailand (on the 13th June).

• Alan Rowley
        June 10, 2014 at 8:13 am

Yes, it says that now in the blog, but as I cut and pasted my original comment, it didn’t before. You were out by 24 hours, showing the match here in Thailand before it had even been played.

8. M Thomson
    June 10, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Its good truevisions will have the world cup… I never made the switch for CTH to get football so finally im at least getting my moneys worth for the world cup… The only downside is I bet there wont be english commentary.

Also about the first kick off time its 3:00am thai time not 7:00am.. The latest any match in the world cup that will show is 8am local time but thats Japan and Ivory Coast.

Most other group stage matches will be broadcast thai time from anywhere from 11pm to 5am.

A little better news is the round of 16 matches will start no later than 3am and earliest starting at 11am.. The final will start at 2am.

• vick
      June 10, 2014 at 5:26 pm

There is English commentary on the RS sunbox for this world cup, so there will be for Truevisions too.

9. Damon O'Neill
    June 11, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Hi,for the games at 2/3am, will there be pubs /bars open late enough to show them? I am going backpacking and will be possibly be in chiang mai for the final and am considering changing my route because dont want to miss the final especially with the curfew still there. Do you think hostels/ guesthouses will show late games?

Cheers

June 11, 2014 at 7:49 pm

There’s no problem watching the game at your hostel/hotel lounge during curfew. I know some pubs and bars in Bangkok are advertising showings of the world cup. But if you want guarantee then you need to go to a town that no longer has a curfew.

10. Marc
    June 30, 2014 at 2:25 am

365 sports has horrendous live stream with almost 5 minutes delay of World Cup matches. I felt I got conned

June 30, 2014 at 11:45 am

I think the reason for the delay is to copy the stream onto their servers here first in Thailand before rebroadcasting. That way you only have to connect to a local server. If the server was in Europe then it would buffer for sure. Personally I don’t mind a short delay if it means a better viewing experience.

• Marc