Hashtag for “Handsome Soldiers” is Trending on Twitter in Thailand

May 21, 2014

[tweet https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/468921419490144256]
Yesterday we woke up to the news that the Thai army had declared martial law and that armed soldiers were stationed at every intersection in Bangkok. In addition they “took over” all of the TV and radio stations. TV channels were allowed to broadcast as normal but they had to interrupt programs with frequent announcements from the army. All of this is effectively a coup.

[tweet https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/468800597345726465]
Having armed soldiers take over your country is a scary situation. So, how did the Thai people react? To answer this, the best way is to take a look at social media. So, what do you think the trending hashtag was yesterday on Twitter? If you said something to do with the military then you were right, but only partly.

The trending hashtag in Thai language yesterday was “handsome soldiers”. In Thai this is #ทหารหล่อ.  A second hashtag, #ทหารหล่อบอกด้วย, encourages people to share pictures if they see handsome soldiers. Thai people were also out on the streets of Bangkok taking selfies of themselves with the soldiers and posting them on Facebook and Twitter. Only in Thailand?

15 Responses to Hashtag for “Handsome Soldiers” is Trending on Twitter in Thailand

1. mat
    May 22, 2014 at 11:06 am

Any road blocks that I should know of? i need to go to Suvarnabhumi Airport. Safer to take a taxi or skytrain?

2. May 22, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Oh cool angle Richard, that might be only in Thailand, 555

3. Ezequiel
    May 23, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Hi Richard! I am Argentine. I’m in Hanoi (Vietman). I must travel to Bangkok tomorrow, where I will be one day to take my flight to Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    I wanted to ask how’s the situation there. Shopping malls are open? Is it safe to stay in the Siam Paragon? The transit operating normally (I have this fear that blocked traffic)??

May 25, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Shopping malls are open but they close early at 8pm due to the curfew.

4. Riz
    May 25, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Hi richard! Im traveling to bangkok on May 31 (1st time), should i move or cancel my flight? How’s the situation in bangkok? I need your opinion. Pls. Thank you so much 🙂

May 25, 2014 at 8:53 pm

That’s my birthday 🙂 I am sure you will be fine. But best to stay out of Bangkok if you want a worry free holiday.

• Riz
        May 25, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Advance happy birthday!

• Riz
        May 25, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Advance happy birthday!! 🙂 we’ll be staying in pratunam area, I’m not sure if thats a worry free place though. Anyway, where to go for the best street food in bangkok? 🙂 thank you richard! Stay safe 🙂

5. Nicole
    May 26, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Hi Richard! I am travelling from Glasgow to Chiang Mai tomorrow and I was just wondering if the soldiers are checking all documents before entering the gates? We will not be travelling out with the curfew but I would just like to be prepared for what may happen. Thanks very much!

May 26, 2014 at 10:47 pm

What gates? I’m flying up to Chiang Rai this weekend and Chiang Mai next month. I am not expecting any problem.

• Nicole
        May 27, 2014 at 1:24 am

I understand that there is a military presence at thapae gate and was just wondering what this meant for tourists entering Chiang Mai?

May 27, 2014 at 7:24 am

It is an isolated of the city and friends living there say the situation is calm.

6. Cassidy
    May 27, 2014 at 10:49 am

Hi Richard!
    I’ve been trying to get a good understanding of the current situation in Thailand and have found your blog and tweets so beneficial! I’m planning on teaching English in Thailand until March. I’m scheduled to fly into Bangkok on May 30 and from there I will be going to Thoen, Lampang. My desire to come is strong, but I don’t want to be foolish and disregard my safety concerns. I’m not sure if I should continue as planned.”. I would highly value your opinion.

May 27, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I cannot see you will have any problems in the majority of cities outside of Bangkok. This weekend I am flying to Chiang Rai near there. Follow my tweets for live updates.