Contradictions in Thailand

August 22, 2013

IMG_7381

Life is full of contradictions. Thailand is much the same. Many of the “do’s and don’ts” that I read before arriving in Thailand had to be thrown out as I saw Thai people breaking many of these rules themselves. The same goes for signs. This first one was probably put up by the monks to discourage people feeding the monkeys around the temple. Monkeys can be a nuisance and also dangerous and so it is not a good ideas to encourage them to be around humans. The sign below was posted opposite and lists “monkey food” that you can buy. So, on one hand you have the monks asking you not to feed the monkeys and then you get this vendor who is openly selling food. I guess commerce wins every time.

IMG_7390

What about you? What contradictions have you seen in Thailand?

9 Responses to Contradictions in Thailand

1. Leeshaaad
    August 22, 2013 at 3:21 pm

One of my favourites is the ‘don’t kill animals because its bad karma’ line, and then they go and eat a kilo of pork and chicken.

2. Baht
    August 22, 2013 at 4:10 pm

“No! Give food monkey”

Maybe it means: “No, I don’t want food. Give food to monkey”.

3. August 22, 2013 at 5:48 pm

In Wat Saket Golden Mount in Bangkok I saw a sign : “Please do not take off your shoes’.

This is the picture I took :

4. Jay
    August 23, 2013 at 10:26 am

I remember visiting phuket for a few days about 6 months after the sunami in 2005.One guy was trying to get me into his shop by saying half his family perished in the wave.The bloke next door was calling out ‘sunami dvd’s,t-shirts’.Had to smile at that.

5. August 23, 2013 at 10:34 pm

The way I read it, it says you should give the food to the monkeys. Imagine you bought some food and you were about to eat it. Then the sign shouts out at you. “No! Give food to the monkey!” The monkeys got to eat somewhere.

6. August 26, 2013 at 9:36 am

Or what about the “no betting” sign at muay Thai matches posted on the wall above the heads of all the people betting on each fight?

7. Baht
    August 26, 2013 at 11:55 am

Nobody going to mention the elephant in the room?

– Prostitution.

8. Tak
    August 27, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Once saw a sign in bangkok that reads “this entrance is for exit only”. 😀