Do Traffic Cops Really Help?

July 26, 2013

trafficcop

If you have driven on the expressways around Bangkok you have probably seen a traffic cop alongside the road gesturing wildly for people to go faster. I don’t know about you, but whenever I see a traffic cop I usually put my foot on the brake to slow down, whether I am speeding or not. It is a natural reflex. So, I think, for most of the time, having these cops by the side of the road are not really helping. The only useful cops I have seen by the side of the road are the dummies at intersections and traffic lights. This is the place where you need to slow down and proceed with caution. Is there any other country in the world where real cops stand by the side of the road holding a sign that says “go faster”? What do you think, are they being helpful or contributing to the traffic problem?

RT @praveenphan ทางขึ้นสะพานพระราม9 นอกจากพี่ตำรวจจะโบกรถแล้ว ยังมีป้ายบอกให้เร็วๆอีกด้วยนะ pic.twitter.com/THoQMTh9n1

6 Responses to Do Traffic Cops Really Help?

1. July 26, 2013 at 11:20 am

Seen it in London. They have to know how to manage traffic there.

2. July 26, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Maybe the “go faster” thing is I trick you into speeding so you must pay a fine later along the road?

3. Paul
    July 26, 2013 at 5:37 pm

It helps the economy… at least he has a job!

4. Hasnat
    July 26, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I agree with you completely. Doesn’t help at all when it’s already super jammed. I hate those flash lights they use during evening time as well.

5. July 27, 2013 at 4:44 am

You are 100% right Richard. Most people will slow down at the sight of a police officer. Police insisting we go faster…another Thailand paradox.

6. Jack
    January 4, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Not only they are useless; they also force cars to drive on the side emergency lane; and when using the ramp to join the express way they just close one lane forcing the cars to squeeze into the emergency lane and the left lane; and this cause more traffic jams when you wish to join the express way.

useless !!