There are a number of events on this weekend that are of interest to me. The main one is celebrating the anniversary of the founding of the Rattanakosin Kingdom This is taking place 20-22 April 2013 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. in the old part of Bangkok which includes Grand Palace, Sanam Luang and Ratchadamnoen Avenue. This is the information that I have so far:
- Demonstration of 10 traditional crafts in the grounds outside the Thammasat University as well as at the National Museum
- “Mahanakorn Amorn Rattanakosin 2325 to Present” and “Rattanakosin Celebration Flag” at National Museum
- At the Sangkeet Sala outside the Phutthaisawan Museum, a khon performance will be held on all three days from 6.30pm to 8.30pm.
- Outdoor movies will be screened every night at Santi Chaiprakarn Park and the Rattanakosin Exhibition Hall
- Sightseeing tours will be offered along the Sanam Chai, Rajini, Phra Athit and Na Phra That roads in Rattanakosin Island
- Religious ceremony will be held on Sunday at Lak Muang City Pillar shrine from 7 a.m. There will also be a procession.
- The Rattanakosin Exhibition Hall is free on Saturday/Sunday
I will be going there on Saturday and you can follow me on Twitter @RichardBarrow for live updates to what there is to see and do.