Bilingual Books for Thai Kids

20130313-191307.jpg

Every year there seems to be many more English language books being published locally in Thailand. Many of these are bilingual. Great for expat families but also for Thai parents who want their kids to enjoy English. I’ve found the best way to motivate children to become fluent in English is to tell them that they will soon have access to far more books and cartoons than their friends. And it’s true.

20130313-191323.jpg

Recently I have seen more effort by Thai parents to bring their kids up to be bilingual. There are Facebook support groups for this as well as several books with tips. Recently I have also seen books and flash cards at Se-Ed that label themselves as bilingual products. This is a great change in attitude and I hope that this will mean more English speakers in the future. As we all know, Thais are far behind others in this region and they need to do a lot of catching up.

20130313-191334.jpg

20130313-191345.jpg

6 thoughts on “Bilingual Books for Thai Kids

• March 14, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Richard, when I first started with Thai I bought a bunch of bilingual books for the Thai market (Thai-English). There were many mistakes in the English. Did you look through any of these to check?

• August 18, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Hi Richard!

First of all I want to thank you for keeping all of us living in Thailand up to date with current events! Currently I am teacher in Chanthaburi and am looking into purchasing either an English software for my students (beginners) or really good quality and new Thai-English dictionaries. Do you have any advice or places/websites I should look?

Thank you!

• August 19, 2014 at 9:13 am

The publisher Misbook (http://www.misbook.com/) has a good selection. They have books, videos and computer software. Their website is all in Thai though. But, if you have a Se-Ed shop near you they should have most. The next big book fair in Bangkok is in October.

• March 14, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I use a collection of 50 Thai-English Fables to practice my Thai reading and writing. While looking for a link to the book to recommend to a friend, I came across it online. The whole book, presented in an attractive web-based reader. Here’s the link: http://issuu.com/misbook/docs/p-eng-101.

• June 20, 2013 at 5:49 pm

My 1st grade son’s english teacher wants them to buy a book called “English All Day”. We live in Roi Et city. Does anyone know where we can get it?? Thanks for any help you can give.