On the afternoon of Saturday 31st March 2012, there was an explosion in the basement parking lot of Lee Garden Plaza in Hat Yai. Initial reports said that it was caused by a gas explosion in a restaurant. But, the latest news is that it was caused by a car bomb. This isn’t the first time that this has happened in this tourist city in Southern Thailand.
The following are a list of incidents tweeted by @Rawangpai:
(1) 3rd May 2004: Bomb exploded at Hat Yai Airport
(2) 16th September 2006: Bombs exploded at 5 locations around Hat Yai killing 4 including a Canadian
(3) 27th May 2007: Series of bombs at 7 locations around Hat Yai
(4) 2nd August 2008: Two bombs exploded in Hat Yai
(5) 31st March 2011: Possible car bomb at Lee Garden Hotel causing at least 4 deaths (TBC)
Picture tweeted by @Bee_Meny